Florida routinely sees extreme sun exposure, high winds, and heavy downpours. These three factors are the biggest issues that roofs in Florida have to stand up to. And if you want a roof that can handle all of these harsh conditions while adding visual interest and value to your home, then a tile roof replacement is an excellent option.
We’re John Hogan Roofing, and we’ve been providing tile roof replacements across the Greater Tampa Bay area for over 25 years. That makes us your go-to local experts for all things tile roofing, including cost, pros and cons, and how to make sure you’re getting the best roof for your home.
But let’s start with the big question that many homeowners have: Is a tile roof replacement right for me?
Do I Need a Tile Roof Replacement?
As a Florida homeowner, a tile roof replacement is at least worth considering. You’ve probably noticed this roofing material popping up more and more on luxury homes across Tampa Bay, and that’s because it offers both strength and a classy aesthetic.
Some of the biggest advantages of a tile roof include:
- Durable and Long-lived: A cement tile roof will last around 50 years, whereas clay tiles can last for a century or more. Additionally, they’re resistant to high winds and are unlikely to be removed even by a major hurricane.
- Rot- and Mold-Resistant: Unlike other roofing materials that can become soaked with water and begin to rot and develop mold, tile strongly resists both of these issues. This is part of why tile roofs last so long in humid Florida!
- Low Maintenance: Because tile roofs are so strong and resilient, they rarely require repairs, which can free up both time and money.
But like any other roofing material, tile roofs have their downsides, too. Let’s take a look at some of the cons of getting a tile roof replacement.
- Heavy Weight: Tiles are an especially heavy roofing material. This means that some roofs may need additional support added to the structure before installation, which can increase the total roof replacement costs.
- High Costs: Without a doubt, the biggest con of a tile roof replacement is the high costs. Total costs can vary depending on the size of the roof, unique roofing features, the type of tile used, and other factors, but it’s reasonable to expect a tile roof to cost roughly twice what a shingle roof would cost. This makes sense since a tile roof will last at least twice as long as a shingle option.
- Tricky Installation: Tile roof replacements require expert knowledge and experience. This means that, when you choose a tile roof, it’s more important than ever that you choose reliable roofing professionals. Otherwise, your new tile roof could have issues throughout its life.
At the end of the day, you’re the only one who can decide if you need a tile roof replacement. But if you decide that you want to make this investment in your home, then John Hogan Roofing can help you make sure you’re getting the best possible tile roof replacement.
Getting the Best Tile Roof Replacement
There are several important steps that go into getting the best tile roof replacement for your home. And after 25 years of doing local tile roof replacements and repairs, we know the ins and outs of these roofs. So let us help you make sure that you’re getting a great new roof and preventing any problems down the road.
Choose the Right Roofing Materials
In addition to choosing whether or not to have a tile roof replacement, you also have to choose which tiles you want. And since these tiles have distinctive differences, choosing between concrete and clay tiles is extremely important.
Concrete tiles are the more affordable tile roofing option. On average, they cost between $9 and $17 per square foot. They last between 30-50 years, and they’re remarkably durable and have high impact resistance. As an added bonus, concrete roofing tiles can be painted virtually any color, which opens up some room for individualized aesthetics.
Clay tiles are more expensive at between $11 and $20 per square foot. But this higher cost comes with many benefits, like 50 to 100+ years of life and improved water resistance. And while clay tiles can’t be painted and have to be natural colors, this isn’t all bad. Tile paint can chip and fade, so staying natural is a way to minimize costs and headaches in the future.
When it comes to the style of tile roofs, concrete and clay tiles offer similar options. So when deciding on a tile roof replacement material, focus on your budget and the performance you want to see in your new roof.
Get the Best Local Tile Roofing Professionals
Who installs your tile roof is just as important as what they install. This is doubly true for tile roof replacements, which require an in-depth understanding of installing comprehensive roofing systems.
John Hogan Roofing has been installing tile roofs in Florida for 25 years, and we’ve learned a lot. We avoid common pitfalls with installation and make sure every job is done to our high standards. This way, we make sure that you have a secure, robust roofing system to protect your home.
Over the years we’ve also developed rich relationships with tile vendors. This means that we can get you the best products at the best prices in Florida. Because while a tile roof replacement is never going to be cheap, we understand that budget matters. That’s why we do everything in our power to keep costs down without sacrificing quality.
We’re also staffed by local, friendly roofing experts. This means that throughout your project, we keep clear, direct lines of communication. This way, we’re available to answer questions and make sure you know what’s happening on your roof at all times.
And to top it all off, we make it easy to start the tile roof replacement process.
Tile Roof Replacement Video
Get Your Free Tile Roof Replacement Estimate
Unlike our competitors, we strongly encourage our customers to get multiple roof replacement estimates. After all, how else can you know that you’re getting a good deal?
And to keep the process simple, we’ve simplified the process of getting a quote. All you have to do is schedule your roof inspection online. Then, one of our friendly roofing professionals will inspect your roof and use that information to put together a personalized roofing quote. And quotes from John Hogan Roofing are always free and never carry an obligation. This way, you can collect your quotes, compare the offers, and make an informed choice.
If you want to explore your local tile roof replacement options, John Hogan Roofing has your back. With decades of local experience, we’ve built goodwill in our community and received countless positive reviews. Give us a chance and see why we’re Tampa Bay’s favorite roofers for tile roof replacements.