Asphalt shingle roofs are the most popular kind of residential roof—in fact, about 80% of homes have a shingle roof. But most homeowners don’t just want an okay roof; they want the best roof. And that requires picking out the best shingle roof for your local climate. And in Tampa Bay, the local weather patterns are anything but gentle on roofs.
But John Hogan Roofing is here to help you pick out the best shingle roof for your home. We’ve been doing shingle roof replacements and repairs in Tampa Bay for over 25 years, and in that time we’ve learned how to tell a great shingle from a lower-quality roofing material. To get started on explaining the difference, we’re going to talk about the different types of shingle roofs.
The 3 Different Types of Asphalt Shingle Roofs
While it’s true that most homes have a shingle roof, there is still a wide variety in terms of style and performance among these roofs. Why? Because roofing shingles, more than any other roofing material, can vary wildly in quality. And a lot of that comes down to which type of shingle roof you pick.
The three types of shingle roofs are:
- 3-Tab: This is the most affordable type of shingle, but also the flimsiest. 3-tab shingles are flat and thin, which results in two problems for homeowners. First, they don’t look great on a roof—they look okay, but they create a flat, stagnant look that doesn’t add much curb appeal. And on top of that, they’re more fragile than any other kind of shingle. They’re usually vulnerable to wind uplift, and heavy rains can wear them down surprisingly quickly. In our local climate, 3-tab shingles rarely last longer than 20 years.
- Architectural: Also called laminate shingles, these are a much higher quality product. They’re roughly twice as thick as 3-tab shingles, which brings increased strength and durability. They create a textured look on your roof that adds a lot of visual interest to your home. And when it comes to performance, architectural shingles are more resistant to wind, rain, and sun damage. For this reason, architectural shingles usually last 20-30 years.
- Luxury: As the name implies, luxury shingles are the most expensive type of shingle roof. In terms of aesthetics, these often mimic the appearance of slate, wood, or clay tiles, which can greatly increase your home’s curb appeal. And since luxury shingles are even thicker than laminate shingles, they’re stronger and more resilient against Florida’s harsh weather. As a result, they can last longer than any other shingle option—up to 40 years.
These are the different types of shingle roofs available in Florida. But how do you get the best shingle roof in Tampa Bay? Well, that depends on what “best” means for you.
The Best Shingle Roof for Floridians
When choosing a roofing material, we understand that most homeowners want a balance between cost and performance. As a result, finding the best shingle roof for you requires making a lot of personal decisions about aesthetics, durability, and cost.
With that in mind, we’re going to go over a few of our favorite types of shingle roofs that we know can stand up to Florida’s inclement weather. From the most affordable to the most expensive, here are our recommendations for the best shingle roof for homeowners in Tampa Bay!
GAF Timberline HDZ Shingles
GAF’s Timberline High Definition shingles entered the market in 2020, and homeowners have been raving about them ever since. This architectural shingle features high wind resistance, a variety of style options, and a lifespan of around 25 years. But let’s talk about some of the special features that make this one of the best shingle roof options in Tampa Bay:
- StainGuard Plus Technology: This proprietary technology slowly releases zinc and other algae-killing metals to prevent shingle discoloration and weakening over the years.
- LayerLock Technology: Architectural shingles are made of two layers of shingles adhered with asphalt. Over time, the asphalt can weaken and lead to separation. But with GAF’s LayerLock technology, there is a mechanical connection, which means a stronger, sturdier roof for your home.
- Unlimited Wind Speed Warranty: When you choose a GAF Master Elite-certified roofing company, your HDZ shingles can come with a warranty for infinite wind speed. So if any of your shingles come off during the lifetime of the warranty, you won’t have to pay to have them replaced!
For many years, these were considered the best shingle roof by many Florida homeowners. But recently, another strong contender has given HDZ shingles a run for their money.
GAF Timberline UHDZ Shingles
In 2023, GAF released their Timberline Ultra High Definition shingles. And like HDZ shingles, their UHDZ shingles are a great option if you’re looking for architectural shingles. But as you’d expect, there are several enhancements only offered by UHDZ shingles. In addition to the features of HDZ shingles, UHDZ shingles also have:
- Improved StainGuard: Like HDZ shingles, UHDZ shingles use GAF’s StainGuard Plus technology. But UHDZ shingles have increased amounts of time-released zinc. This means that your shingles will stay algae-free for longer, preventing both unsightly discoloration and gradual weakening of your shingles.
- Enhanced Resilience: The thicker a shingle is, the better it will resist wind and rain damage. And UHDZ shingles are about 20% thicker than their HDZ shingle counterparts. As a result, they’re a remarkably durable architectural shingle.
- Dual Shadow Line Technology: As we mentioned, one of the key features of architectural roofs is their classic textured appearance. And GAF UHDZ shingles further reinforce that with new Dual Shadow Line technology. With this unique patterning, the shingles create a constant shadow line that most buildings only have at sunset. The overall look that this creates is elegant and picturesque, which makes UHDZ shingles a great option for increasing curb appeal.
With all of these features and perks, it’s no wonder that UHDZ shingles are one of the best shingle roof options for Floridians. But what about high-end luxury shingles?
GAF Slateline Shingles
GAF Slateline shingles are the best shingle roof for anyone who wants the aesthetic of a slate roof without the sky-high cost of slate. Where the above architectural shingles look like high-end shingles, this roof option perfectly mimics the elegant aesthetic of slate. And it’s no slouch in performance, either—with proper maintenance, they can last 40 years or longer. Let’s take a look at some of their most prominent features:
- Advanced Protection Technology: Slateline shingles have GAF Advanced Protection technology, meaning that they have passed 4,375 quality checks. These checks test for things like durability, wind uplift resistance, flexibility, and fire resistance. So with these luxury shingles, you’re getting a shingle roof that you know can handle Florida’s unpredictable weather.
- 130mph Wind Rating: After prolonged testing, Slateline shingles have been proven to resist winds up to 130mph. For context, this means that your Slateline shingles can withstand the winds of a category 4 hurricane. But even in the unlikely event that your shingles are removed by wind, replacing them will be much easier and more affordable than replacing actual slate.
- Dura Grip Adhesive: In addition to being nailed into place, GAF Slateline shingles also come with Dura Grip adhesive. This exclusive adhesive creates a strong bond between the shingle and your roof’s underlayment. And where the sun normally weakens shingles, with Dura Grip adhesive, the sun’s heat actually activates the adhesive and further strengthens your roof.
Best Shingle Roof in Tampa Bay – The Video
Get the Best Shingle Roof for Your Home
At the end of the day, only you can decide what the best shingle roof is for your home. All of the above options are great shingle roofing materials, so the final decision will come down to aesthetics, personal preference, and budget.
Regardless of which shingle you choose for your home, you’ll want to choose a roofing company with GAF Master Elite certification. In addition to getting access to the best shingle roofing materials, this certification also gives access to the strongest warranties. So when you get your new shingle roof installed with roofers like John Hogan Roofing, we’re able to give you strong, long-lasting warranties that will keep your home safe for years to come.
If you’re ready to get started, then the good news is that the next step is easy. All you have to do is schedule your roof inspection to get your free roofing estimate. Based on what kind of shingle you’re looking for, our roofing experts will prepare a personalized estimate that covers the total shingle roofing costs. Then, you can use this information to decide which shingle option is best for you and your family.
John Hogan Roofing has proudly been serving Tampa Bay for 25 years, and we’ve got plenty of reviews showing that we’re committed to doing quality work. So get your free estimate and start the shingle roof replacement process today!
You May Also Like:
Did you know that terracotta roofing has been a popular roofing material in Florida for over 500 years? First brought to Florida by Spanish settlers, terracotta roofs have been a common sight in the Sunshine State for generations. But do they hold up to modern roofing standards? We’re John Hogan Roofing, your experts on all…Read More
Garage roof repairs probably weren’t in your budget this month. But when a leak or other roofing problem pops up, your best bet is to get it worked on ASAP before the problem gets worse. There is one problem, though. How are you supposed to know which roofing professionals you can trust? We’re John Hogan…Read More
If you’ve lived in Tampa Bay for long, then you know that Florida’s weather patterns are no joke. Protecting your home or business from Florida’s high winds, heavy rains, and constant sun exposure takes expertise that only local roofers can acquire. That’s why you should only be looking at local roofers for a roof repair…Read More