Sooner or later, every flat roof needs to be replaced. But what if you could get a new roof put on without wracking up labor costs in removing the old one? This is what commercial re-roofing offers, and more and more Floridians are choosing it for their commercial properties.
But how does it work? And is it worth re-roofing instead of replacing?
It’s normal to have questions. We’re John Hogan Roofing, and today we’re using our 30 years of roofing experience to answer these questions about commercial re-roofing and more. And step one is giving you a clear distinction between re-roofing and roof replacement.
Commercial Re-roofing and Roof Replacement: What’s the Difference?
Re-roofing and replacing sound pretty similar, so it’s easy to get the two mixed up. But there’s one crucial difference between a re-roof and a replacement, and that’s what happens with your old roof.
When you get a commercial roof replacement, someone will remove your old roof, dispose of it, and then put on a new one. This gives your roof a clean slate and allows your roofing contractors to fix any issues with your decking or other roofing features.
However, it also greatly increases roofing costs by making roofers take time to remove the old roof.
Commercial re-roofing gets rid of this expense. Because instead of removing your old roof, the contractors will install a new roof on top of the old one. And this can mean increased protection for your structure, especially if your old roof wasn’t at the very end of its life yet.
There are upsides and downsides to both of these commercial roofing services. So how do you decide which one is right for you?
Is Commercial Re-roofing Right for Me?
Since both re-roofing and replacing are great options, which one is best comes down to your unique situation. Your budget, the state of your roof, and your goals for your new roof are all important factors in deciding if commercial re-roofing can help you. So let’s talk about the signs that commercial re-roofing is or isn’t the best choice for you!
Signs You Need Commercial Re-roofing
- You Have a Tight Budget: Roof replacements are anything but cheap, and some rubber roofing options can be especially expensive. If you need a new roof but don’t have a large budget, commercial re-roofing can save you a lot of money by removing time spent removing and disposing of your old roof.
- You’re in a Rush: Sometimes you need a new roof right away. Whether you just need increased protection or you’re dealing with insurance, commercial re-roofing is an excellent choice if you need a new roof immediately. Since your old roof doesn’t have to be removed, the installation process is much faster than replacing your roof.
- Your Roof Has Some Life Left: In many cases, people replace their roofs when the roof could still have another couple of years of life left. This is when commercial re-roofing is most effective since you get to add the protection of a new roof and still have that underlying protection from your old roof. In this way, water and high winds will have a much harder time causing structural damage to your roof.
- Your Roof Looks Worn: For many commercial structures, like hospitals, you can see the roof from inside the building. And if your roof is looking old and worn out, it’s natural to want a new one. By investing in commercial re-roofing, you can get a totally new, pristine roof without paying for an entire replacement!
Signs You Need a Commercial Roof Replacement:
- Your Roof Is Leaking: For a roof leak to make it through to the interior of your structure, a lot of systems in your roof have to fail. Not only does the water have to get through your outer roofing materials, but it also has to penetrate through your decking. And if there’s water damage to your decking, putting a second roof on it could make things worse since there will be more weight and no opportunity to replace the damaged sections. So if you have a leak, a roof replacement is probably your best option.
- You Want Your New Roof to Last: Commercial re-roofing does install a durable, resilient roofing system on your roof. But if you want to get the most life possible out of your roof, then you need a roof replacement. On average, it’s safe to assume that after re-roofing, your roof will last 75% as long as a newly replaced roof. So if you want a roof that will last as long as possible, a commercial roof replacement may be the better choice.
- You Want Peace of Mind: If you’re a worrier, then getting your roof replaced can create assurance that everything is new and any underlying issues have been fixed. With re-roofing, on the other hand, there’s no chance to inspect the entirety of your roofing system, so you have to settle for being confident that there are no issues, but not totally sure.
- You’ve Already Had a Commercial Re-roofing: If you currently have two roofing systems on your structure, then you are not eligible for a third. Too much weight on your roof could be unsafe and lead to structural damage. However, after replacing your roof, you could then go on to have another re-roofing.
Choose Florida’s Top Commercial Roofing Company
For both commercial re-roofing projects and roof replacements, John Hogan Roofing has the local roofers that you need. We’ve been working in this area for more than 30 years, so we know all about what it takes to get a high-quality commercial roof on your structure. And just as importantly, we know how to treat our customers with the respect and honesty that they deserve.
If you’re still on the fence, check out our great local roofing reviews. And then give us a shot by scheduling your free, no-obligation roofing estimate. We’ll examine your roof to see what options are available to you, and then we’ll present a detailed estimate that covers exactly what your roof needs and how much it will cost.
30 years in roofing doesn’t happen by accident. It happens with experience, honesty, and straightforwardness. If you need help, we’d be proud to add your project to our long list of successfully completed commercial roofing jobs!
You May Also Like:
Did you know that terracotta roofing has been a popular roofing material in Florida for over 500 years? First brought to Florida by Spanish settlers, terracotta roofs have been a common sight in the Sunshine State for generations. But do they hold up to modern roofing standards? We’re John Hogan Roofing, your experts on all…Read More
Garage roof repairs probably weren’t in your budget this month. But when a leak or other roofing problem pops up, your best bet is to get it worked on ASAP before the problem gets worse. There is one problem, though. How are you supposed to know which roofing professionals you can trust? We’re John Hogan…Read More
If you’ve lived in Tampa Bay for long, then you know that Florida’s weather patterns are no joke. Protecting your home or business from Florida’s high winds, heavy rains, and constant sun exposure takes expertise that only local roofers can acquire. That’s why you should only be looking at local roofers for a roof repair…Read More